Castiglione Messer Marino, Province of Chieti, Abruzzo
This small centre is situated on a hill between the Sente River on the one side and the springs of the Treste and Sinelli on the other, surrounded by pastures and some of the few relic forests of silver fir.
Other Sections on Abruzzo
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
- Altitude: 1000 m a.s.l
- Distance from Chieti: 103 km
- Population: ca. 1900 inhabitants in 2010
- Postal code: 66033
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0873
- Frazioni: Colle Trimarino, Padulo, Sant'Egidio, Valle San Salvatore
- How to reach it: SS 86 from Vasto.
This part of Abruzzo was once the territory of the Frentani, an ancient Italic population. Still before, neolithic peoples left a trace of their presence in the mountains of the area. The present settlement took origin in the Middle Ages, and its name comes from its founder, feudal Lord Messer Marino Caracciolo. In the past local artisans were famous for their woodwork and stonecarving. It was the birthplace of Juan Manuel Fangio's father.
What to see
- The ruins of the Castle.
- The church of San Michele Arcangelo.
- The Historical Centre with ancient alleys and fine stone portals.
- The forest of silver firs, majestic woods once common everywhere on the Appenines.
Events and Festivities
- February: "Carnevale castiglionese", with a parade of people in costume
- Holy Friday: Procession of the Dead Christ, after which the statue of Christ is laid in the sepulchre and women keep vigil not to leave Him alone in the night
- 11 September: Feast of Madonna del Monte (=Our Lady of the Mountain)- All faithful meet at dawn in front of the church and carry the statue of the Virgin Mary along the Tratturo leading to the mountain area called Lupara
- 12 September: a parade of women carrying on their heads traditional Abruzzese "concas" (copper containers) full of wheat and other gifts to the Madonna del Monte
- 24 December: "'Ndoccia", a bonfire lit at sunset to welcome Christ coming to the world.
Where to stay
Genealogy and Links
- Municipio, v. E. Colapietra, Castiglione Messer Marino (CH) - tel. (+39) 0873 978831
- Surnames presently recorded in Castiglione Messer Marino
- People researching in Castiglione Messer Marino.