Castel Frentano, Province of Chieti, Abruzzo, Italy
Situated on a hill, in a wonderfully panoramic position, this little town is surrounded by olive trees and vineyards. It is famous also for the typical local cake called "bocconotto".
Altitude: 400 m a.s.l -- Distance from Chieti: 40 km -- Population: ca. 4300 inhabitants in 2011 -- Zip code: 66032 -- Phone Area Code: 0872 -- Frazioni: Ciommi, Clementi, Colle Ceraso, Colle dell'Aia I, Colle dell'Aia II, Crocetta-Colle Grande, Feltrino, Fonte Barile, Ischia, Lentesco, Morge, Moscete, Paludi, Pera, Pietragrossa, Porrechi, San Rocco, San Vincenzo, Trastulli -- How to reach it: road: SS 84 from Lanciano; motorway: A14 exit Lanciano
The history of the centre goes back to thousands of years ago, when the Frentanes (an Italic population already flourishing in the area 1000 years B.C.) - from whom the name of the town is derived - populated the area. This is documented by the presence of pre-Roman tombsites at nearby Madonna del Casale, which was a resting station on the long path (the "Tratturo") that Abruzzese shepherds followed from their summer sites in the mountains to their winter sites along the coast, in Apulia (south of Abruzzo). It was first mentioned in documents of the 12th century A.D. A terrible landslide in 1881 destroyed a large part of the village.
Points of Interest
- Vergilij Palace
- Crognale Palace
- Church of St. Maria della Selva, where a fine wooden statue of the Lady with Child can be admired
- Church of St. Stefano
- Church of the Trinità
Events & Festivities
- 2-3 August: Feast of St. Stefano
- 5 August: Festival of "donativi"
- 15 August: Feast of the Assunta, patron of Castel Frentano
- Throughout August: Art exhibitions, sports events, wine and local food festivals.
Hotels, Lodging, Restaurants
- Ristorante Leon d'Oro, via G. Matteotti 3, Castel Frentano (CH) - tel. (+39)0872 56155