Casoli, Province of Chieti, Abruzzo
It is located in the valley of the Aventino, on top of a hill dominated by a medieval castle. Its territory is part of the Nature Oasis of Lake Serranella, is quite large (66 sq km) and includes a great many small hamlets.
- Altitude: 378 m a.s.l
- Distance from Chieti: 39 km
- Population: ca. 5900 inhabitants in 2010
- Postal code: 66043
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0872
- How to reach it: by road, SS 81 from Chieti or SS 84 from Lanciano.
Follow us on Facebook
The comune includes the following frazioni: Ascigno, Capoposta, Cappacorti, Caprafico, Cavassutti, Cinonni, Cipollaro, Collebarone, Colle della Torre, Collelungo, Collemarco, Coste Martini, Fiorentini, Grottarimposta, Guarenna Nuova, Guarenna Vecchia, Laroma, Laroscia, Mandramancina, Merosci, Minco di Lici, Monti, Nobili, Piana delle Vacche, Pianibbie, Piano Aventino, Piano Carlino, Piano del Mulino, Piano la Fara, Piano Laroma, Piano Morelli, Piano delle Vigne, Quarto da Capo, Ripitella, Selva Piana, Serra, Taloni, Torretta, Valle Curato, Verratti, Vicenne, Vizzarri.
The origin of the current settlement goes back to the year 1000 AD, but settlements are recorded already from the 4th century BC. Among its feudal lords were the Orsini, Colonna, Crispano, d'Aquino families.
What to see
- The church of Santa Reparata, with an altar and a triptych of 1506.
- The church of Santa Maria Maggiore.
- The medieval castle.
- The Majella National Park.
- In Piano Roma, the archaeological site of Cluviae a centre of the Carecini people, with a Roman theater.
Events and Festivities
- First Sunday in October: Feast of S. Reparata
- 7-8-9 October: Feast of St. Anthony Abbot and St. Reparata
- 7 December: Bonfires "Fuochi della Concezione".
Where to stay
Genealogy and Links
- Municipio, via Frentana, 66043 Casoli (CH) - tel. (+39) 0872 981140/981374/981791
- Surnames presently recorded in Casoli
- People researching in Casoli
- Newspaper articles on Casoli.