Casoli, Province of Chieti, Abruzzo, Italy
It is located in the valley of the Aventino, on top of a hill dominated by a medieval castle. Its territory is part of the Nature Oasis of Lake Serranella.
Altitude: 378 m a.s.l -- Distance from Chieti: 39 km -- Population: ca. 5900 inhabitants in 2010 -- Zip code: 66043 -- Phone Area Code: 0872 -- How to reach it: road: SS 81 from Chieti or SS 84 from Lanciano
The territory of the commune is quite large (66 sq km) and includes a great many small hamlets: Ascigno, Capoposta, Cappacorti, Caprafico, Cavassutti, Cinonni, Cipollaro, Collebarone, Colle della Torre, Collelungo, Collemarco, Coste Martini, Fiorentini, Grottarimposta, Guarenna Nuova, Guarenna Vecchia, Laroma, Laroscia, Mandramancina, Merosci, Minco di Lici, Monti, Nobili, Piana delle Vacche, Pianibbie, Piano Aventino, Piano Carlino, Piano del Mulino, Piano la Fara, Piano Laroma, Piano Morelli, Piano delle Vigne, Quarto da Capo, Ripitella, Selva Piana, Serra, Taloni, Torretta, Valle Curato, Verratti, Vicenne, Vizzarri
The origin of the current settlement goes back to the year 1000 AD, but settlements are recorded already from the 4th century BC. Among its feudal lords were the Orsini, Colonna, Crispano, d'Aquino families.
Points of Interest
- Church of St. Reparata, with an altar and a triptych of 1506
- Church of St. Maria Maggiore
- The medieval castle
- Majella National Park
- in Piano Roma, the archaeological site of Cluviae a centre of the Carecini people, with a theater.
Events & Festivities
- First Sunday in October: Festa di S. Reparata
- 7-8-9 October : Feast of St. Anthony Abbot and St. Reparata
- 7 December: Bonfires "Fuochi della Concezione"
Genealogy, News & Links
Hotels, Lodging, Restaurants
- Agritourism: Ciafel | De Camillis | Fiorentino | Travaglini
- Agnello d'Oro, v. Montaniera 7 - tel. (+39) 0872 981335
- Flamengo, ctr. Guarenna Vecchia 28 - tel. (+39) 0872 983181
- Il Bucaniere, ctr. Selva Piana 87, - tel. (+39) 0872 982086
- La Taverna, ctr. Torretta 4 - tel. (+39) 0872 981743