Casalincontrada, Province of Chieti, Abruzzo
Located between the Pescara and Alento rivers, has a territory rich in crops, among which many olive groves. An interesting, ancient gateway leads into the 15th-century historical centre.
Other Sections on Abruzzo
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
- Altitude: 333 m a.s.l
- Distance from Chieti: 13 km
- Population: ca. 2700 inhabitants
- Postal code: 66012
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0871
- Frazioni: Aceto, Adriani, Ambrosetti, Brecciarola, Colle Petrano, Coppelli, Fellonice, Fontanelle, Iconicella, Malandra Nuova, Malandra Vecchia, San Lorenzo-Croce Della Madonna, San Marco, Sciabolone, Scrocchetti
- How to reach it: by road, SS 81 from Chieti; by motorway, A25 exit Chieti.
Its name derives from casalis (= boundary), which is first mentioned only in the 13th century AD, although the area was certainly inhabited in Roman times. Colonized by Benedictine monks, in 1419 it came under the city of Chieti, then became a fief of the Caracciolo and Del Giudice families.
What to see
- The baronial palace.
- The 16th-century church of St. Stefano.
- The 14th-century church of Santa Maria della Pietà.
- The 15th-century church of Santa Maria delle Grazie.
- The "case di terra cruda", houses of clay.
Events and Festivities
- July: Festival of "marrocchia" (=roasted corn).
Where to stay
Genealogy and Links
- Surnames presently recorded in Casalincontrada
- People researching in Casalincontrada
- Newspaper articles on Casalincontrada.
- Municipio, piazza A. De Lollis, 66012 Casalincontrada (CH) - tel. (+39) 0871 370130
- Parrocchia, Santo Stefano proto Martire, 66012 Casalincontrada (CH) - tel. (+39) 0871 370109.