Carunchio, Province of Chieti, Abruzzo, Italy
Located in the center of the valley of the Trigno river, the village enjoys a beautiful landscape, ranging from the Majella as far as the Gargano promontory in Apulia. Its economy is based mainly on agriculture and sheep breeding.
Altitude: 714 m a.s.l -- Distance from Chieti: 114 km -- Population: ca. 650 inhabitants in 2010 -- Zip code: 66050 -- Phone Area Code: 0873 -- Frazioni: Cerreto, Pedicone -- How to reach it: road: s.n. 86 da Vasto; motorway: A14 exit Vasto Nord o Vasto Sud
The name Carunca (from carruca, or plow) appeared in the 12th century. The old borough was abandoned at that time, to be later rebuilt in the current position, which was easier to defend. It was a fief of the Caracciolo family in the thth century, then passed to the Marinelli.
Points of Interest
- the Church of Purgatorio, with beautiful medieval portal and frescoes inside
- the Church of S. Giovanni Battista, with a precious 18th-century organ
- the "Portacoluccia", a remnant of the ancient walls
Events & Festivities
- Good Friday: impressive night procession
- 1 May: Procession dedicated to Santa Maria della Valle, from the sanctuary of the same name to the village
- 18-19 August: Patron Feast of S SS. Antonio e Vincenzo