Carunchio, Province of Chieti, Abruzzo
Located in the center of the valley of the Trigno river, the village enjoys a beautiful landscape, ranging from the Majella as far as the Gargano promontory in Apulia. Its economy is based mainly on agriculture and sheep breeding.
- Altitude: 714 m a.s.l
- Distance from Chieti: 114 km
- Population: ca. 650 inhabitants in 2010
- Postal code: 66050
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0873
- Frazioni: Cerreto, Pedicone
- How to reach it: by road, s.n. 86 da Vasto; by motorway, A14 exit Vasto Nord or Vasto Sud.
Follow us on Facebook
The name Carunca (from carruca, or plow) appeared in the 12th century. The old borough was abandoned at that time, to be later rebuilt in the current position, which was easier to defend. It was a fief of the Caracciolo family in the thth century, then passed to the Marinelli.
What to see
- The church of Purgatorio, with beautiful medieval portal and frescoes inside
- The church of S. Giovanni Battista, with a precious 18th-century organ
- The "Portacoluccia", a remnant of the ancient walls.
Events and Festivities
- Good Friday: impressive night procession
- 1 May: Procession dedicated to Santa Maria della Valle, from the sanctuary of the same name to the village
- 18-19 August: Patron Feast of S SS. Antonio e Vincenzo.
Where to stay
Genealogy and Links
- Municipio, via Taverna, 66050 Carunchio (CH) - tel. (+39) 0873 954392/953241
- Surnames presently recorded in Carunchio
- People researching in Carunchio
- Newspaper articles on Carunchio.