Carpineto Sinello, Province of Chieti, Abruzzo
This small agricultural village is situated in the valley of the river of the same name, at the foot of Monte Sorbo. There are interesting archaeological remains in the lower part, and an imposing castle that dominates the area.
Other Sections on Abruzzo
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
- Altitude: 381 m a.s.l
- Distance from Chieti: 88 km
- Population: ca. 700 inhabitants in 2010
- Postal code: 66030
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0872
- Frazioni: Montagnola, Policorvo
- How to reach it: by road, s.n. 86 da Vasto; by motorway, A14 exit Vasto Nord o Vasto Sud.
Ancient Italic tombs were found in the area, while the name was first mentioned in documents of the 12th century as Carpinus. Among its many feudal lords there was the Bassi family.
What to see
- The Castle, which, though transformed in the 18th century into a noble mansion, still retains many of the original features.
- Archaeological sites.
Events and Festivities
- August: Festival of porchetta (roasted pork)
- 12-13 August: Feast of St. Vincenzo
- 29-30 September: Feast of St. Michael the Archangel.
Genealogy and Links
- Municipio, via Rotabile Provinciale, Carpineto Sinello (CH) - tel. (+39) 0872 869135
- Surnames presently recorded in Carpineto Sinello
- People researching in Carpineto Sinello.