Canosa Sannita, Province of Chieti, Abruzzo
A few km from the Adriatic Sea, this attractive village lies on the slope of a hill between the rivers Venna and Sant'Onofrio.
Other Sections on Abruzzo
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
- Altitude: 231 m a.s.l
- Distance from Chieti: 9 km
- Population: ca. 1400 inhabitants in 2010
- Postal code: 66010
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0871
- Frazioni: Villa Moggio, Santa Maria d'Orni,Orni.
- How to reach it: by road, s.n. 538 da Ortona; by motorway, A14 exit Ortona.
An ancient settlement existed in the area as early as the 9th century. the place belonged to the Celaya family. During the Second World War it suffered severe damages.
What to see
- The modern parish church of SS. Filippo and Giacomo in the beautiful historical center.
Events and Festivities
- May 1st: Feast of SS. Philip and James, with a procession carrying the statues (busts) of the two Saints.
Genealogy and Links
- Municipio, via Vitt. Emanuele, 66010 Canosa Sannita (CH) - tel. (+39) 0871 93212
- Parrocchia Santi Filippo e Giacomo, largo Indipendenza 1, 66010 Canosa Sannita (CH) - tel. (+39) 0871 93266
- Surnames presently recorded in Canosa Sannita
- People researching in Canosa Sannita.