Bucchianico, Province of Chieti, Abruzzo
A few km from Chieti, in a beautiful location between the rivers Alento and Foro, the small town offers a panorama stretching from the Majella to the Adriatic Sea. The area is characterized by the presence of "calanchi", kind of gullies created by erosion, and numerous vineyards, olive groves and pastures.
Other Sections on Abruzzo
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
- Altitude: 330 mt m a.s.l
- Distance from Chieti: 8 km
- Population: ca. 5200 inhabitants in 2011
- Postal code: 66011
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0871
- Frazioni: Annunziata, Cervinelli, Colle Sant'Antonio, Feudo, Pozzo Nuovo, Pubblicone, Santa Maria Casoria
- How to reach it: by road, SS 81 from Chieti; by motorway, A25 exit Chieti.
Of medieval origin, in the early 11th century was the site of a Benedictine monastery, dependent on San Liberatore a Majella. It was a feud of Marino of Alagno and Francesco de Riccardis, and later belonged to Giacomo Piccinino, Bartolomeo d'Alviano and finally to the Caracciolo family. Bucchianico was the birthplace of St. Camillo de Lellis, founder of the Order of Clerks Regular, Ministers to the Sick (abbreviated as M.I.), better known as the Camillians.
What to see
- The house of St Camillo de Lellis, with a small museum
- The Shrine of St, Camillo of the 17th century, with a beautiful bust of the saint and interesting baroque furniture
- The church of San Francesco (1290), restored in the 18th century, with frescoes inside of Domiziano Vallarola from Penne
- The church of Purgatorio of the 18th century
- The Convent of the Clarisse (Poor Clares), with frescoed cloister.
Events and Festivities
- First Sunday in May: Procession to the Church of St. Camillo at Calcara
- Sunday before May 24: Feast of the Banderesi, recalling the historic victory of bucchianichesi against the Chietini in the 13th century
- 25 May: Feast of St. Urbano
- 14-15 July: Festival of St. Camillo
- July-August: Festival of figs and "pernill" (roasted ham)
- 6 October: Feast of St. Aldemario.
Where to stay
Genealogy and Links
- Municipio, p.Roma, 66011 Bucchianico (CH), tel (+39) 0871-381112, Bucchianico (CH) - tel. (+39)
- Parrocchia, p. roma 2, 66011 Bucchianico (CH) - tel. (+39) 0871-381000
- Surnames presently recorded in Bucchianico
- People researching in Bucchianico
- Newspaper articles on Bucchianico.