Borrello, Province of Chieti, Abruzzo
This very picturesque village enjoys a wonderful view all over the Sangro Valley and the Monti Lupari. Very little is left of the ancient settlement, due to the massive destruction in WW2.
Other Sections on Abruzzo
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
- Altitude: 804 m a.s.l
- Distance from Chieti: 99 km
- Population: ca. 500 inhabitants
- Postal code: 66040
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0872
- How to reach it: by motorway A1 Rome-Naples, San Vittore/Caianello exit, then follow signs towards Venafro-Castel di Sangro, then take the highway Fondovalle del Sangro, exit Sant'Angelo del Pesco; by motorway A14, Val di Sangro exit, then fast lane "Sangritana" to Villa Santa Maria-Quadri; by train, Ferrovia Sangritana, station Villa Santa Maria-Quadri.
Important since pre-Roman times, the first historical mention of the center dates back however to the 11th century. Its name derives from the Borrello family that had lordship here for a great deal of time, establishing in the place an important defense post of their wide territory (from the Sangro to the Trigno river). It was also a feifdom of the de Couternay, Caldora, d'Alagno, Arcamone, Carafa and Mascitelli.
What to see
- The ruins of the castle and Baron's Mansion
- The church of Sant'Antonio
- The Rio Verde Waterfalls, Not to be missed are the waterfalls of the Rio Verde, inside a Natural WWF Oasis of the same name, which are the highest natural waterfalls in the Appennines, over 200 mt (600 ft) in three separate jumps.
- The Abetina di Rosello, a picturesque Oasis along the border Abruzzo-Molise, rich of white fir and other plants, among them lindens, cores and rare Lobelius maple. The reserve is also a refuge for goshawks, sparrow-hawks, hoot and cut capers.
Events and Festivities
- 13 June: Feast of Saint Antony
- 16-17 August: Feast of Saints Rocco and Egidio
- 13 December: Feast of Santa Lucia.
Genealogy and Links
- Municipio - piazza Guglielmo Marcono 13 - 66040 Borrello (CH) - tel. +39 (0)872 945124
- Parrocchia Sant'Egidio Abate - 66040 Borrello (CH) - tel. +39 (0)872 945346
- Surnames presently recorded in Borrello
- People researching in Borrello
- Newspaper articles on Borrello.