Borrello, Province of Chieti, Abruzzo
This very picturesque village enjoys a wonderful view all over the Sangro Valley and the Monti Lupari. Very little is left of the ancient settlement, due to the massive destruction in WW2.
- Altitude: 804 m a.s.l
- Distance from Chieti: 99 km
- Population: ca. 500 inhabitants
- Postal code: 66040
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0872
- How to reach it: by motorway A1 Rome-Naples, San Vittore/Caianello exit, then follow signs towards Venafro-Castel di Sangro, then take the highway Fondovalle del Sangro, exit Sant'Angelo del Pesco; by motorway A14, Val di Sangro exit, then fast lane "Sangritana" to Villa Santa Maria-Quadri; by train, Ferrovia Sangritana, station Villa Santa Maria-Quadri.
Follow us on Facebook
Important since pre-Roman times, the first historical mention of the center dates back however to the 11th century. Its name derives from the Borrello family that had lordship here for a great deal of time, establishing in the place an important defense post of their wide territory (from the Sangro to the Trigno river). It was also a feifdom of the de Couternay, Caldora, d'Alagno, Arcamone, Carafa and Mascitelli.
What to see
- The ruins of the castle and Baron's Mansion
- The church of Sant'Antonio
- The Rio Verde Waterfalls, Not to be missed are the waterfalls of the Rio Verde, inside a Natural WWF Oasis of the same name, which are the highest natural waterfalls in the Appennines, over 200 mt (600 ft) in three separate jumps.
- The Abetina di Rosello, a picturesque Oasis along the border Abruzzo-Molise, rich of white fir and other plants, among them lindens, cores and rare Lobelius maple. The reserve is also a refuge for goshawks, sparrow-hawks, hoot and cut capers.
Events and Festivities
- 13 June: Feast of Saint Antony
- 16-17 August: Feast of Saints Rocco and Egidio
- 13 December: Feast of Santa Lucia.
Genealogy and Links
- Municipio - piazza Guglielmo Marcono 13 - 66040 Borrello (CH) - tel. +39 (0)872 945124
- Parrocchia Sant'Egidio Abate - 66040 Borrello (CH) - tel. +39 (0)872 945346
- Surnames presently recorded in Borrello
- People researching in Borrello
- Newspaper articles on Borrello.