Bomba, Province of Chieti, Abruzzo, Italy
Located at the foot of Mount Pallano, Bomba is a favourite tourist destination thanks to its green forests and the Sangro (or Bomba) Lake, picturesque and rich of fish.
Altitude: 424 m a.s.l -- Distance from Chieti: 75 km -- Population: ca. 900 inhabitants in 2010 -- Zip code: 66042 -- Phone Area Code: 0872 -- Frazioni: Sambuceto, Vallecupa -- How to reach it: road: s.n. 81 from Chieti or s.n. 84 da Lanciano, then s.n. 652; motorway: A14 exit Val di Sangro
Traces of a pre-Roman settlement were found on Mount Pallano, though the first mention of the place was in the early 14th century. It was under the de Tibur, de Galiberto and de Anichino families, and later a feud of the Scotrò, the Caravita and Adimari families. In the 19th century Bomba gave birth to the brothers Silvio (a patriot) and Bertrando Spaventa (philosopher).
Points of Interest
- Ethnographic Museum
- the old part of the town, which has preserved its original structure almost intact.
- The 16th-century Palazzo Baronale
- Church of S. Maria del Popolo of the 18th century with stuccos by Piazzoli and Terzani and paintings by Neapolitan Ludovico de Majo
- Monument to Silvio Spaventa, in the main square
- The imposing architectural complex of the San Mauro Sanctuary at Valle Cupa, a popular pilgrimage site
- the Monte Pallano
- the Sangro Lake
Events & Festivities
- May: Feast of patron St. Mauro
- July: Fish Festival
- 7 August: Feast of St. Donato