Arielli, Province of Chieti, Abruzzo
Situated on a hill near the springs of the river Arielli, the village is surrounded by vineyards.
Other Sections on Abruzzo
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
- Altitude: 295 m a.s.l
- Distance from Chieti: 43 km
- Population: ca. 1,100 inhabitants in 2010
- Postal code: 66030
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0871
- Frazioni: Colle Martino, Contrada Valle, Fonte delle Chiavi, Fonte delle Pere, Fonte Grande, Pescarese, San Romano, Villa Carloni
- How to reach it: by motorway, A14 exit Ortona then road s.n. 538 from Ortona.
Mentioned for the first time in documents of the 12th century, the place belonged, over the centuries, to the de Vega, the Doria and Costa families. The Second World War caused serious damage to the old center.
What to see
- the Sanctuary of Madonna delle Grazie, almost completely rebuilt after the Second World War, with a beautiful polychrome wooden statue of Our Lady of the 16th century.
- The churches of San Rocco and San Michele, both dating from the 12th century, but restored after WW2.
Events and Festivities
- End of May: Feast of St. Mauro
- Second Sunday of August: Feast of Madonna delle Grazie (=Our Lady of Grace)
- 29 September: Feast of patron St. Michael the Archangel.