Ari, Province of Chieti, Abruzzo
This small centre lies on a hill between two streams, Turri and Valle Cupa, surrounded by orchards and vineyards.
Other Sections on Abruzzo
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
- Altitude: 289 m a.s.l
- Distance from Chieti: 19 km
- Population: ca. 1,700 inhabitants
- Postal code: 66010
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0871
- Frazioni: Curci, Foro, Pianagrande, San Antonio, San Pietro, Santa Maria, Turrimarchi
- How to reach it: by motorway, A14 exit Pescara Sud, then road S.S. 16 to the south and after about 10 kms road 263 to the hinterland.
The first trace of its existence is a mention of a church, San Pietro di Ari, among the possession of San Liberatore a Majella monastery. In later times it belonged to the Orsinis and subsequently to the city of Lanciano.
What to see
- The Orsini palace
- The church of Madonna delle Grazie, with a medieval wooden statue of the Virgin with Child.
Events and Festivities
- May: Feast of the Ascension
- September: "Porchetta" (roasted young pork) festival.
Genealogy and Links
- Ufficio Anagrafe - Municipio di Ari - v.Papa Giovanni XXIII - 66010 ARI (CH) - Tel: +39 0871 - 718643 --- Fax: 0871 - 718122
- Parrocchia San Salvatore, 10, v. roma - 66010 ARI (CH) - Tel: +39 0871 71146
- Surnames presently recorded in Ari
- People researching in Ari
- Newspaper articles on Ari.