Archi, Province of Chieti, Abruzzo, Italy
Placed on a hill in a very healthy position, a little distance from the Sangro Valley, in the West and the Pianello river in the East, it still preserves the ancient medieval walls. From the small town a wonderously wide view can be enjoyed on the Valleys of the Sangro and Aventino rivers, and the Majella and the richly forested Colle della Serra. In the last few decades the industrial development of the Val di Sangro has greatly increased the suburb of Piane d'Archi, and the population has stopped decreasing (Archi had over 3300 inhabitants in 1900).
Altitude: 445 m a.s.l -- Distance from Chieti: 69 km -- Population: ca. 2,200 inhabitants in 2011 -- Zip code: 66044 -- Phone Area Code: 0872 -- Frazioni: Caduna, Canala, Cannella, Colle della Guardia, Colle Verri, Fara d'Archi, Fonte Cittadone, Fonte Maggiore, Grotte, Isca d'Archi, Macchie Pianello, Montagna, Piane d'Archi, Pianello, Rascitti, Rongiuna, Ruscitelli, San Luca, Sant'Amico, Solagne, Valle Franceschelli, Zainello -- How to reach it: A14 exit Val di Sangro then road s.s.n. 84 from Lanciano
It is believed that an ancient, Bronze-Age settlement existed in the area of Fonte Tasca. The present center goes back to the medieval age, roughly to the 13th century, and was an important strategic point. There were a number of feudal lords in the course of time (the del Balzos, Cantelmos, Coronas and Carafas). A letter by King Charles of Anjou in 1269 assigned the territory to Bertrando del Balzo and his heirs. In 1407 it was a possession of the Cantelmo family. In 1476, when Giovanna, the only daughter of Ferrante I of Aragona and Giovanna III Queen of Naples was born, the king assigned to her among a great many possessions in Southern Italy, also the Countdom of Archi.
Points of Interest
- Wide sections of the medieval walls are still in their place
- The ruins of the Castle (11th century), rebuilt in the 15th century but then destroyed to the ground by bombings during WW2; the property of the Lannutti family, still has a fine tower of the 16th century
- Church of San Rocco
- Parish Church of Santa Maria dell'Olmo
- A fine Monumento ai Caduti, the work of artist Guido Costanzo.
Events & Festivities
- 8-9 May: Feast of San Nicola
- December 8: Feast of the Immaculate Conception - singers perform before the statue of the Virgin Mary "stornelli", then everybody exchanges good wishes.