Altino, Province of Chieti, Abruzzo, Italy
Along the Aventino valley, 12 km from Lanciano, on a mountain crest left of the Sangro and right of the Aventino river, Altino rises along a small stream, the Rio Secco, which flows into the Adriatic a few miles away.
From the small town an astoundingly rich view can be enjoyed. The fertile territory, so rich in waters, is covered of wineyards and olive trees, and in the plain there is a rich production of fruit. Nearby there is also a spring of sulphurous waters, in a place called Brecciole, which the people say has healing powers.
Altitude: 345 m a.s.l -- Distance from Chieti: 46 km -- Population: ca. 2,800 inhabitants in 2011 -- Zip code: 66040 -- Phone Area Code: 0871 -- Frazioni: Briccioli, Colli, Fonte, Luzio, Mandrella, Rio Secco, Sant'Angelo, Scosse, Selva -- How to reach it: A14 exit Val di Sangro, then road s.s.n. 84 from Lanciano
Ancient medieval borough, it was mentioned already in documents of the 12th century, and was under a number of different feudal lords, such as the de Anichino, Diego de Moccicao, Alvaro de Grado, Giovanni Vincenzo Crispano, the Tovo, Furia and Paolucci families. In 1861 and 1862 was repeatedly attacked by brigands, and many families moved to Casoli and Chieti.
Points of Interest
- Church of Madonna delle Grazie, with a fine painting on wood dated 1355 showing Our Lady.
Events & Festivities
- 15-16 May Feast of Madonna delle Grazie
- July Historical re-enactement of threshing, with parade of rural tools of the past
- 26-27 Settembre Feast of SS. Cosma e Damiano
Hotels, Lodging, Restaurants
Genealogy, News & Links
- Municipio Di Altino, 1 V. Della Madonna Altino 0872-985121
- Surnames presently recorded in Altino
- Francesco S. Sirolli, ALTINO - STORIA CRONACA LEGGENDA, Editrice Carabba