Our Lady of Miracles - La Madonna dei Miracoli
Categories of Articles
Every year on June 11 the sanctuary is transformed in a destination of pilgrims coming not only from Abruzzo, but also from bordering regions. Even today there are pilgrims that spend the night in side chapels waking in prayer; and many after receiving a grace leave in the sanctuary their "ex-voto".
The Madonna dei Miracoli is represented in two ways: either standing in the action of admonishing the pious peasant or sitting on an oak, surrounded by a dazing light. The origin of this celebration can be connected to the ancient peasant and agrarian cults connected to goddess Diana, as shows the presence of hail, a weather phenomenon greatly feared by farmers, and of the oaktree.
In 1925 the sanctuary was entrusted to Benedictine monks who built a monastery nearby. The present sanctuary was consecrated on 11 August 1962.
The pilgrimages in the sanctuary were so impressive that poet Gabriele d'Annunzio mentioned it as a pagan rite in his poem Trionfo della Morte, a scene which painter Francesco Paolo Michetti, native of Tocco da Casauria, represented in the huge painting called "La via degli storpi" (Route of the Cripple), made for the Great Exhibition of Paris if the year 1900, now kept in the Townhall of Francavilla.