The Abbey of San Pelino in Corfinio
Next to the abbey rises a monastery which used to host the Museo delle Antichità Corfiniesi, founded in 1880 by Antonio Di Nino, where precious pre-Roman pieces connected to the cult of Goddess Angizia, widespread among the Marsi, Peligni and Sanniti, and other Roman and Early Christian findings were kept, among them a marble head and a cameo showing Emperor Claudius. The monastery was recently entrusted to cloister nuns, and cannot be visited.
The church plan is a Latin cross divided into three aisles, according to the typical Romanesque style; the facade is sober, with one portal surrounded by simple flower motifs.
In the interior the ceiling is covered with wooden beams, and the transept and apse appear in all their pristine beauty: divided into four sections by decorated bands, where slim columns, sculptures and finely embroidered windows are inserted.
A real masterpiece is the ambon, made between 1168 and 1188 under the bishopric of Oderisius from Raiano, which is similar in wealth and style to the ambons in San Clemente, Casauria and Santa Maria Assunta, Bominaco.
The mausoleum of St. Alexander was built using archeological findings of the Roman era. The plan is rectangular, with a small circular apse. Outside there is a tower over Roman foundations, which is presently surviving only up to the second level.
The vaulted interior is divided into four sections; in the apse there are three windows to let the light in, and frescoes representing saints: Sant'Alessandro between two Angels (14th century) and a group with St. Onophrius the Hermit among St. Anatolia, St. Caterina and St. John (14th century). The relics of Pope Alexander are kept here because of the rivalry with the Abbey of San Clemente a Casauria, which hosts the relics of St Clemens the pope: to be on the same level, also the Valvense Abbey obtained to have their saint.
Contact us with details and priorities.