Categories of Articles
- Starting Place: Il Ceppo at 1,334 meters - which can be reached by car from Teramo following S.P. 48 (37 Km), or from Ascoli Piceno by S.P. 49 towards the Valle Castellana (17 km). Near the Albergo Julia, follow to the left for under 1 km and leave your car in the small parking area there.
- Take the dirt road on the right and get into the Bosco della Martese; follow the path for about one hour as far as a ditch, in the vicinity of an "ENEL" (Ente Nazionale Energia Elettrica) refuge.
- Proceed for another half hour, and reach a crossroads, where you will proceed to the left along a now level pathway.
- After passing a small stream and a short ascent, take the pathway on the left and enter the beech wood. Century-old trees make the forest so thick that hardly any sunlight comes through, and you'll be enwrapped in a splendid unreal light under a green sky of leaves, amid sounds of flowing water and bird songs.
- Always following the path, leave the forest and reach a valley through which a small stream flows; after this and still another stream that you'll cross (use caution for the bottom is slippery) proceed to the left and enter still another wood, and out of it you will be in front of the Morricana Waterfall, dropping 40 meters into the Cannavine ditch.
It is interesting also to mention that in the shadows of the giant trees of the forest also a battle is reported between the Abruzzese Roman allies and Hannibal, who was defending the pass called today Guado di Annibale a short distance from the Gole del Salinello.