Carlo Verdone, "Un Vigile Attento"
Sections on Learning Italian
- Viale Giulio Cesare, to explain it the policeman mimes the stabbing of Caesar.
- Via Garibaldi, from the Italian freedom fighter that landed in Sicily in 1859, helping to unify Italy, and represented riding a horse.
- Via dei Mille, the One Thousand volunteers in red shirts that followed Garibaldi in his adventure, represented using a 1,000 lire banknote.
- Via Enrico Toti, named after a WW1 hero, who having no more weapons, launched his crutch against the enemy.
- San Pietro, he mimes launching a stone (pietra in Italian).
- Via Colombo, he mimes a dove flying (In Italian a "colombo" is a masculine dove).
Do you speak English? Speak English? But I do not speak it. Italian? Nothing? Anything at all? F*** ...
Go straight on, then, at some point, large square, very large square, huge, Piazza di Spagna, Spain! Do you know Spain? Spain, Spain, Spain, Spain, got it?
Dritto, Cesare, prima a destra, Garibaldi. Nooo, so' du cose avulse...
Straight on, Caesar, first right, Garibaldi. Nah, they're two different things ...
Sto' a parla'... Fermo, n attimo, grandissimo viale,
I'm talking ... Stop there, just a moment, a very large avenue,
Andando sempre dritto, seconda a sinistra, Piazza San Pietro, San Pietro. Sei arivato! Piazza San Pietro, San, San, Pietro, Pietro...
Going straight, second left, St. Peter's Square, St. Peter. You are there! St. Peter's Square, St. Peter, Peter ...
First right, going straight on, Piazza Venezia, Venice. Nooooo, that is Pisa! Piazza Venezia, going straight, Piazza San Pietro, Peter, Saint, Pie ...
Stavo a parlà, stavo! Un se pò parlà?
I was speaking, I was! Now one cannot speak any more?
Parli italiano? Parli italiano? Parli inglese? Ma no lo parlo io! Ma ce devi anna' pe' forza? pe' forza ce devi anda'?
Ce l'hai 40 minuti de tempo? Ce l'hai 40 minuti? Con calma ... con calma.... Oddio!
Do you speak Italian? Do you speak Italian?
Do you speak English? But I do not speak it myself!
But do you really need to go there? do you really need to go?
Do you have 40 minutes to spare? Do you have 40 minutes? Calmly ... calmly .... Oh my!
Me sento male!
I'm feeling sick!