Matrimonio all'Italiana (Marriage Italian style)
Sections on Learning Italian
When many years later Filomena is a mature woman, he falls in love with his young shop assistant and decides to marry her. At that point, Filomena pretends she's dying, deceiving even the doctor and the priest, and convinces Domenico to marry her on her deathbed.
But when the deception is revealed, the man wants to invalidate the contract and Filomena agrees to leave in return for a sum of money and another condition, to invite her sons in Domenico's house, and reveal them she is their mother.
She reveals him that she supported the three boys with money subtracted from him during the years; moreover, she tells him one of them is his son, but is careful not to reveal which. In the end Domenico agrees to recognize all three boys, and marries Filomena.
- Eppure quante volte ho mangiato assieme a te...
- Yet how many times I've eaten with you...
- e nun fa ninte!
- Mannaggia a me, scusateme, ma che ne sapevo che 'na signora se metteva a sentì dietro alle porte...
- it doesn't matter!
- Damn me, sorry, but what did I know of such a lady listening behind doors...
- Ohè, a do' va?
- e lascialo fa', è 'o carattere sujo...
Ohè Ricca', ma che fai, te ne va'?
- che fai, Ricca', a do' vai?
- Hey , where are you going?
- and let him be, it's his character...
- Hey Riccardo, but what are you doing, where are you going?
- What are you doing, Riccardo, where are you going?
- ecco, io so' pronta... a do' sta l'avvocato?
- se n'è andato, e mica potevo tenere il Foro di Napoli a tua disposizione! Comunque le carte stanno qua, qua ci sta la penna, vuoi che ti legga l'atto?
- Here, I am ready ... where is the lawyer ?
- He is gone, and sure I couldn't keep the court of Naples at your disposal! However, the papers are here, here there is the pen, do you want me to read the deed?
- Sì, qua!
- Yes, here !
- E chi ti crede!
- Uno di quei tre è figlio a te!
- Ma statte zitta!
- And who could believe you!
- One of those three is your child!
- But shut up!
- Non è 'o vero, non può essere vero, me lo avresti detto allora, per tenermi legato...
- It's not true, cannot be true, you would have told me at the time, to keep me tied up to you...
- 'no guaglione. Per me so' eguali tutti e tre!
- One of the boys. To me, the three of them are the same!
- Lo vedi, so' eguali. Devono essere eguali tutti e tre.
- e so' uguali, so' figli tuoi, non li conosco, non li voglio conoscere, vattenne va!
- You see , they are the same. They must be the same all three.
- and they're the same, they're your children, I do not know them, I do not want them to meet them, get lost!
- Aspettami giù! 'no momento, Dummì! Una sera mi dicesti, "Filume', facciamo finta di volerci bene". Io quella sera t'ho voluto bene veramente, tu no! Tu avevi fatto finta.
- Wait down for me! Just a moment, Domenico! One night you said to me, "Filomena, Let's pretend we love each other." I did love you truly that night, you didn't! You pretended.