Villa of Livia
Sections on Learning Italian
In 1951 the wall paintings in the underground chamber were detached and transferred to the National Roman Museum in Palazzo Massimo. Later, the empty spaces were filled with panels to faithfully reproduce the frescoes.
The recent restoration recreates the images of the frescoes on gauze sheets, alternating, thanks to a dual lighting system timer, the masonry with a projection of the originally painted wall.