Rosemary, as well as sage, contains a substance called carnosic acid which has been shown active against macular degeneration. According to recent research, the regular use of rosemary keeps the body younger and improves blood circulation. Thanks to its powerful antioxidant qualities, rosemary plays a protective role also on the liver, an organ that, most of all, suffers the effects of stress.
The magical qualities of rosemary
Recipes by Category
Recipes by Region
Want to fight diabetes with natural remedies? Researchers at the University of Illinois found benefits in counteracting type-2 diabetes with a diet including oregano and rosemary, without the risk of side effects of drugs. Under the guidance of Professor Elvira Gonzalez de Mejia, the researchers tested four different herbs, analyzing both the fresh and dried varieties. The compounds which contributed to decrease diabetes were identified in the dried plants of rosemary, Greek and Mexican Oregano.
Among other spices that were extensively studied, cinnamon, according to Iranian researchers of the Mashhad University of Medical Science, revealed efficacy in the control of blood glucose levels. In France, pharmacologists at the University of Montpellier discovered that the burdock extract was a good, quite natural remedy against hyperglycemia.
Summarizing, towards a healthy diet, our spices cabinets must never be devoid of these wonderful herbs!
A nice cup of a Rosemary Tea?
What about other herbs?
- Rosemary and basil have anti-inflammatory qualities.
- Cumin and sage are effective against dementia.
- Cayenne pepper and cinnamon help fight obesity.
- Coriander and cinnamon regulate sugar levels.
- Nutmeg, bay leaves and saffron show soothing properties.
- Turmeric has anti-tumoral activity.
- Oregano is anti-fungal and anti-inflammatory.
- Garlic, mustard seeds and chicory seeds benefit the cardiovascular system.
- Basil and thyme protect the skin.
- Turmeric, basil, cinnamon, thyme, saffron and ginger have immuno-stimulant power.
- Coriander, rosemary, cayenne, chili and black pepper counteract depression.