A traditional "vegan" recipe: the ciabotto
The ciabotto is one of the few vegetarian dishes typical of the Abruzzo region, and a great side dish, easy to make and really tasty, that can also be used as a seasoning for pasta, the "ciabotto" is made of vegetables cooked in a pan with oil and salt.
Ingredients (2 servings)
To prepare this dish you'll need 2 potatoes, an eggplant, red bell pepper, zucchini, onion, a glass of tomato puree or 1-2 fresh tomatoes, extra virgin olive oil, salt and basil.
- First of all, finely chop the onion and gently fry in olive oil until the onion is almost melted;
- cut the potatoes in relatively small pieces, add to the pan and let cook for about 5 minutes;
- meanwhile, you will have cut the eggplant into small cubes; add it to the pan and cook for some more minutes;
- add the pepper, stir gently. Then add the tomato puree or fresh tomatoes cut in pieces;
- let cook for some more minutes, then add the thinly sliced zucchini;
- only at this point you can add salt, to taste, and cook over medium-low heat with the lid on, until the vegetables start to break up.
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook