San Gregorio Armeno, Naples, Campania
About halfway along the street there is the church of San Gregorio Armeno, founded around 930 AD on the foundations of a temple to goddess Ceres. Only in 1205 the church was named after St. Gregory. The tradition of St. Gregory Armenian cribs has a remote, pagan source: in classical times the citizens used to offer small terracotta figurines, manufactured in the shops nearby, to Ceres, whose temple was on the site.
However, the origin of the Neapolitan crib is much later, dating to the 18th century. Today the shops on the street offer the whole year long figures for cribs, both canonical and original; every year the most eccentric craftsmen introduce new figurines of characters highly topical of the year.