between the 13th and 14th century AD a defence system based on day and night signals through fires and smoke was developed to face the frequent landings of Turks and pirates. In the 14th century the medieval borough of Castrum Silvi became a fiefdom of the abbey of San Giovanni in Venere, then passed under the jurisdiction of the Acquaviva family, dukes of Atri. At the time Silvi Marina was a small poor port of fishermen, who lived in poor cabins and were almost only engaged in fishing, which at that time used to offer an exceptional variety of sea food. Silvi remained a fiefdom of Atri until the arrival of Napoleon, who in 1806 abolished feudalism. With the Unification of Italy Silvi obtained its first mayor.
In 1863 the building of the railway station helped the development of the "Marina" of Silvi, which little by little took a different aspect, thanks mostly investments in the tourist sector. In 1931 the municipal seat was moved from Silvi Paese to Silvi Marina, which within a few years turned into an important seaside resort, becoming the administrative center of all the territory, from the coast to the surrounding hills.