Noble families of the time like the Aragona, Orsini, Farnese and others of the day commissioned their everyday and most elegant dinner services from the Castelli ceramists. At least eleven families collaborated together. The richest and most important of these was the Pompei family, creators of the famous "Orsini-Colonna" collection commissioned to celebrate peace made between the two families. They also created part of the "Farnese tableware" with the famous "turchine" in gold. These families were authentic industries organized into sections from the search for clay, wood and other materials to the kneading, lathing and the first baking, finishing with the painting. Together with the production there was the commercial side which was controlled by different members of the family. They supervised all the operations necessary to participate in fairs and markets.
CASTELLI, Province of Teramo, Abruzzo, Italy
This small village, rising on a rock dominated by Mount Camicia between the rivers Rio and Leomogna, is a favourite destinations for tourists and art lovers. It hosts an Art Institute and a Ceramics Museum. For its position, it is the starting point for climbing the Eastern side of the Gran Sasso.
Altitude: 500 m a.s.l -- Distance from Teramo: 40 km -- Population: ca. 1600 inhabitants -- Zip code: -- Phone Area Code: -- How to reach it:
- road: Km 10 from A24
- road: Km 10 from A24
Known since pre-Roman times, in the XI century flourished under the influence of the Benedictine Abeey of San Salvatore, whose monks introduced the local population to ceramics. This art then achieved world stature from the XVI century onwards, with such masters as the Grue brothers and Gentili and Pompei families.
Events & Festivities
- 15 August Lancio del piatto on the river Leomogna, a traditional popular game
- 1-31 August "August a Castelli", a Market Fair of traditional ceramics along the streets of the village
Genealogy, News & Link
- Images of Castelli
- Genealogy of the De Prophetis family
- People researching in Castelli
- Newspaper articles on Castelli
- more on the frazione Palombara
Sights & Excursions
- The Art Institute, with a collection of contemporary ceramics and a huge ceramics crib
- Museo delle ceramiche, situated in the cloister of an ancient convent just outside the town where display boards show the working methods and fragments discovered during archeological research.
- San Donato, 1 kilometer from the town, an the ancient icona (as small churches were once called) with XV-century floor and ceiling entirely decorated with sixteenth century polychrome bricks with coats-of-arms, arabesques, human figures and animals painted on ceramic
- San Giovanni Battista, early XVII century, with a XII-century wooden statue of St. Anne and XVII-century ceramics works
- San Rocco, at the entrance to the village, with a fresco by Andrea Delitio
- Bosco di Pietralunga
- Colle dei Cavatori
Other Sections on Abruzzo:abruzzo portal | province of chieti | province of l'aquila | province of pescara | province of teramo | history | itineraries | festivities | guestbook | news [1998-2005] | heritage ezine | images | hotels & agritourism | songs
Follow ItalyHeritage on Facebook: