The old part of the village, now completely abandoned, has very interesting elements, evidence of its ancient origin. The new settlement rose along the main road.
Altitude: 445 m a.s.l
-- Distance from Pescara: 41 km
-- Population: ca. 400 inhabitants
-- Zip code: 65010
-- Phone Area Code: 085
-- How to reach it: road: s.n. 602 da Chieti; motorway: A25 exit Chieti
-- Frazioni: De Contra, La Penna, Le Pietre, Piano Vanardi
The first documents about the village of Vicoli date back to the year 883, when the place was mentioned as Curtis de Viculo and to 1112 when the name was Castellum de Vicula. In the 15th century it was a feud of Francesco de Riccardis, then it belonged to the city of Chieti, to Francesco de Paganis, Manfredino of Valencia and Ferdinando Castriota, whose family retained ownership until 1597, when it was sold to Alfonso Piccolomini.
What to see
- The remains of the medieval borough
- the Church of San Rocco, with paintings of local artist Sandra Pizzoli
- a Chapel of San Rocco, with a fine wooden statue of the saint of the 17th century
- the countryside Church of Madonna del Cinghiale (Our Lady of the Boar)
- the Parco Territoriale Attrezzato di Vicoli, not far from the center, to the right of the river Nora.
Events & Festivities
- September: Feast of Madonna del Cinghiale (Our Lady of the Boar), a very peculiar tradition that seems to appear only in this place, since the boar is usually associated to the miracles of St. Antony the Abbot.
Genealogy, News & Links