This pleasant little town, dominated by the majestic outline of the Gran Sasso and the fascinating landscapes of the Monti della Laga, lies on an artificial lake, created in the 1950's with the damming of the Rio Fucino. It is a nature reserve and one of the few water bodies in the central Apennines where ducks, herons and other birds may rest during migrations. The fauna and flora are typical of the high Gran Sasso and Laga mountains.
Altitude: 1420 m a.s.l
-- Distance from L'Aquila: 44 km
-- Population: ca. 900 inhabitants
-- Zip code: 67013
-- Phone Area Code: 0862
-- How to reach it: bus: from L'Aquila
- road: A24 Roma-Pescara, exit L'Aquila Ovest
then S.S.80, 38 km north-west from L'Aquila
Campotosto has long been part of the Papal States. In 1388 the place suffered serious consequences because of the war of Aquila against Amatrice. From the 16th century it followed the destiny of nearby Montereale and Capitignano, which were granted by the Emperor Charles V to the Farnese family. In 1641 it belonged to Duke Barrilli, then was included in the Aquilan jurisdiction.
Sights & Excursions
- Church of Madonna Apparente, just outside Campotosto, which, according to tradition, was built at the behest of Our Lady when she appeared to a local girl in 1604.
- Church of Sant'Antonio, located in the highest area of the village, whih underwent many renovations, that substantially altered its original structure.
- Church of Madonna di Loreto at Poggio Cancelli
- The Valle del Chiarino, afine destination for hiking excursions
Hotels, Lodging, Restaurants
Genealogy, News & Links