San Salvo began its social and economic revival after the discovery of methane deposits: this energy resource allowed to improve a degrading economy and to stop an encreasing emigration. New industries settled in the area, immigrants arrived from the hinterland, from the different Communes of the Region, and also from the South and North of Italy.
San Salvo, Province of Chieti, Abruzzo, Italy
Lively, picturesque, tourist and industrial town, San Salvo lies on a large hill of the southern coast of Abruzzo, bordering Molise, three km far from the shores of the Adriatic sea. In the last few decades there has been a remarkable development of San Salvo Marina, which almost joins Vasto Marina to the north, with many tourist facilities along the seafront.
Altitude: 100 m a.s.l -- Distance from Chieti: 86 km -- Population: ca. 19000 inhabitants on 2010 -- Zip code: 66020 -- Phone Area Code: 0873 -- Frazioni: San Salvo Marina, San Salvo Stazione -- How to reach it: motorway: A14 uscita Vasto Sud - road: SS 16 Adriatica
Once it was believed that the center rose in the late 11th century around a Benedictine monastery that was destroyed in later centuries. However, in the area called Bufalara a bronze inscription was found dated 384 AD and very recently while excavating to restore the "Vecchia Fontana", Roman ruins were found. This is important for the history of the place, which was believed to have risen in the Middle Ages. around a Benedictine monastery. The Benedictines settled in this territory in the second half of the 8th century after the longobard invasion of the Monastery of Montecassino.
Points of Interest
- Church of San Giuseppe, on the model of ancient basilicas
Hotels, Lodging, Restaurants
Genealogy, News & Links
- See images of San Salvo...
- Surnames recorded in San Salvo in the 1840's
- People researching in San Salvo
- Newspaper articles on San Salvo
Events & Festivities
- April 20, "Le Some"
- 27-28 April: Feast of San Vitale - after a festive procession of carriages laden with flour, the women prepare pasta in honour of San Vitale which is cooked and eaten in the main square.
- Late May: Feast of the Madonna delle Grazie
- Early June: Feast of San Nicola
- 16-17 June: Feast of Saints Vito and Antonio
- For some years now there has been the tradition on 15th August of fireworks on the sea, in rivalry with the town of Vasto.
- 18 September: Festa of S. Rocco
- 20 December, in 1765 of the relics of San Vitale were brought to San Salvo; to commemorate the event, and in honor of the saint on this day at dusk in the main square a huge bonfire of wood is lit and kept burning throughout the night.
- 29 December: Bonfires for San Tommaso
Other Sections on Abruzzo:abruzzo portal | province of chieti | province of l'aquila | province of pescara | province of teramo | history | itineraries | festivities | guestbook | news [1998-2005] | heritage ezine | images | hotels & agritourism | songs
Follow ItalyHeritage on Facebook: