Orsogna, Province of Chieti, Abruzzo, Italy
The small town is located on a ridge bordered to the south by the Moro River, east and south-east by its small tributaries. Severely damaged by an earthquake in 1881, was rebuilt on both sides of a road, which was an ancient tratturo, with the oldest part to the south. The territory around includes agricultural fields, vineyards, and vast pastures.
Altitude: 430 m a.s.l -- Distance from Chieti: 33 km -- Population: ca. 4100 inhabitants in 2010 -- Zip code: 66036 -- Phone Area Code: 0871 -- Frazioni: Feuduccio, Ritiro, San Basile, Sterparo, Valli-Coste di Moro -- How to reach it: motorway: A14 exit Ortona - road: SS 538 da Ortona o da Lanciano
The name Ursonia appeared in 1151, and later documents of the 14th century mention an Ursugna, Ursunia or Ursungia. Over the centuries it belonged to the Orsini (14th century) and the Colonna. Destroyed by an earthquake in 1881, the old town was again damaged in the Second World War. During the first three decades of the 20th century there was a massive depopulation, mostly due to emigration overseas.
Points of Interest
- the church of St. Nicola, late Baroque era, damaged during the last World War and was later restored
- The Convento dell'Annunziata, inside a Park, with frescoes of the 17th century
- the imposing ruins of the Colonna castle
Events & Festivities
- Easter Tuesday: Feast of Our Lady and Talami festival, with final procession to Madonna del Rifugio (=Our Lady of Refuge)
- 1-2 August: Feast of Madonna degli Angeli (=Our Lady of the Angels)
- 16-17 August: Feast of St. Rocco
Hotels, Lodging, Restaurants
Genealogy, News & Links
Other Sections on Abruzzo:abruzzo portal | province of chieti | province of l'aquila | province of pescara | province of teramo | history | itineraries | festivities | guestbook | news [1998-2005] | heritage ezine | images | hotels & agritourism | songs
Follow ItalyHeritage on Facebook: