A few km south of Pescara lies Francavilla, one of the finest seaside resorts and an important cultural centre in Abruzzi. Nowadays it may be considered part of the larger Pescara-Chieti metropolitan area.
The area was inhabited since prehistory, and early remains have been found at St. Cecilia. In 1162 the village was granted immunity from all taxations for 12 years, and this episode also gave origin to the name "Franca Villa" (= free town in Latin). The harbour was a flourishing commercial key point in the Adriatic Sea, but in the 16th century was plundered by Turkish troops.
It was under important families as the Caracciolo and D'Avalos. In the late 19th century was already a well known seaside resort and the seat of an artistic literary circle with relevant figures as F.P. Michetti, G. D'Annunzio, F.P. Tosti, who met at the "Conventino", in the former monastery of Santa Maria di Gesù.