Between the Sinello and Osento rivers, the ancient medieval borough of Casalbordino lies surrounded by olive trees, vineyards and orchards. The Lido, the seaside section of the centre, is a beautiful destination for tourists in the summer.
Altitude: 203 m a.s.l
-- Distance from Chieti: 71 km
-- Population: ca. 6500 inhabitants
-- Zip code: 66021
-- Phone Area Code: 0873
-- Frazioni: Casalbordino Lido, Cerreto, Leoni, Miracoli, Piana D'Alloro, Piana Sabella, Ripa, Verdugia, Vidorni
-- How to reach it: road: s.s. 16 Adriatica; motorway: A14 exit Vasto Nord
A Roman settlement existed in the area, as shown by many findings. The medieval centre dates back to the 11th century, when it was an agricultural establishment depending by the nearby benedictine monastery of Santo Stefano ad rivum maris (or in Rivomare); the name of the place comes from Roberto Bordinus, one of its early feudal Lords.
Points of Interest
- The belltower (19th century), attached to the Parish Church (18th century)
- The Sanctuary of Madonna dei Miracoli, with its imposing Baroque façade and dome, which Abruzzese poet Gabriele D'Annunzio mentions in his Trionfo della morte, an important religious destination for pilgrims from all over the Christian world.
- The remains of the Monastery of Santo Stefano in Rivomare (842 AD), repeatedly plundered and destroyed by the Turks in the 16th century.
Events & Festivities
- 9-11 June: Feast of Madonna dei Miracoli, with religious songs and procession of "repentant sinners"
- August: Clam festival, with boat parade and competition at the Lido
Hotels, Lodging, Restaurants
Genealogy, News & Links
- Municipio, p. Umberto, 66021 Casalbordino (CH) - tel. +39 0873-900272
- Parrocchia Santo Stefano Proto Martire, via Piave, 66021 Casalbordino (CH)
- Surnames presently recorded in Casalbordino
- People researching in Casalbordino
- Newspaper articles on Casalbordino
- Images of CASALBORDINO