Borrello, Province of Chieti, Abruzzo, Italy
This very picturesque village enjoys a wonderful view all over the Sangro Valley and the Monti Lupari. Very little is left of the ancient settlement, due to the massive destruction in WW2.
Altitude: 804 m a.s.l
-- Distance from Chieti: 99 km
-- Population: ca. 500 inhabitants
-- Zip code: 66040
-- Phone Area Code: 0872
-- How to reach it:
Motorway A1 Rome-Naples, San Vittore/Caianello exit,
then follow signs towards Venafro-Castel di Sangro, then take the highway Fondovalle del Sangro,
exit Sant'Angelo del Pesco.
Motorway A14, Val di Sangro exit, then fast lane "Sangritana" to Villa Santa Maria-Quadri.
Train: Ferrovia Sangritana, station Villa Santa
Important since pre-Roman times, the first historical mention of the center dates back however to the 11th century. Its name derives from the Borrello family that had lordship here for a great deal of time, establishing in the place an important defense post of their wide territory (from the Sangro to the Trigno river). It was also a feifdom of the de Couternay, Caldora, d'Alagno, Arcamone, Carafa and Mascitelli.
Points of Interest
- The ruins of the castle and Baron's Mansion
- Church of Sant'Antonio
- Rio Verde Waterfalls, Not to be missed are the waterfalls of the Rio Verde, inside a Natural WWF Oasis of the same name, which are the highest natural waterfalls in the Appennines, over 200 mt (600 ft) in three separate jumps.
- Abetina di Rosello, a picturesque Oasis along the border Abruzzo-Molise, rich of white fir and other plants, among them lindens, cores and rare Lobelius maple. The reserve is also a refuge for goshawks, sparrow-hawks, hoot and cut capers.
Events & Festivities
- 13 June: Feast of Saint Antony
- 16-17 August: Feast of Saints Rocco and Egidio
- 13 December: Feast of Santa Lucia
Genealogy, News & Links
- Municipio - piazza Guglielmo Marcono 13 - 66040 Borrello (CH) - tel. +39 (0)872 945124
- Parrocchia Sant'Egidio Abate - 66040 Borrello (CH) - tel. +39 (0)872 945346
- Surnames presently recorded in Borrello
- People researching in Borrello
- Newspaper articles on Borrello
Did you like this page? Share it with your friends!
copyright abruzzo2000 - italyheritage 1998-2013 --- contact