Arielli, Province of Chieti, Abruzzo, Italy
Situated on a hill near the springs of the river Arielli, the village is surrounded by vineyards.
Altitude: 295 m a.s.l
-- Distance from Chieti: 43 km
-- Population: ca. 1,100 inhabitants in 2010
-- Zip code: 66030
-- Phone Area Code: 0871
-- Frazioni: Colle Martino, Contrada Valle, Fonte delle Chiavi, Fonte delle Pere, Fonte Grande, Pescarese, San Romano, Villa Carloni
-- How to reach it: motorway: A14 exit Ortona then road s.n. 538 from Ortona
Mentioned for the first time in documents of the 12th century, the place belonged, over the centuries, to the de Vega, the Doria and Costa families. The Second World War caused serious damage to the old center.
Points of Interest
- the Sanctuary of Madonna delle Grazie, almost completely rebuilt after the Second World War, with a beautiful polychrome wooden statue of Our Lady of the 16th century.
- The churches of San Rocco and San Michele, both dating from the 12th century, but restored after WW2.
Events & Festivities
- End of May: Feast of St. Mauro
- Second Sunday of August: Feast of Madonna delle Grazie (=Our Lady of Grace)
- 29 September: Feast of patron St. Michael the Archangel.
Genealogy, News & Links
Did you like this page? Share it with your friends!
copyright abruzzo2000 - italyheritage 1998-2013 --- contact