- In a big pot (caldaio) cook the many qualities of vegetables
- In another pot boil cotiche, pork ears and legs, big pieces of ham that you will deprive of the bone and cut in smaller pieces when cooked.
- In still another pot boil in abundant water all the dry beans (fagioli, ceci, lenticchie) and, when they are nearly cooked, add fresh peas and broadbeans.
- Prepare a "soffritto" of minced lard, garlic, fresh onions, maggiorana and mentuccia, drain the beans, and add the soffritto to their pot
- Add the meat with its broth to the beans, then the cooked vegetables, and if necessary some salt, and then leave the soup to boil.
- In still another pot cook different qualities of pasta, also some hand-made, drain when they are "al dente", and add to the soup, cooking for some more minutes.
At the end of winter almost all provisions were over, and there was something left of this and something of that. This great soup is an exquisite solution to clear out the stores before the new harvest. And it is made in large quantities, to be consumed also in the following days. It is healthy, rich and easy to digest, since all the meat is boiled pork. And in the days when every ingredient is boiled, the houses and streets are filled of odors of aromatic herbs, meat, beans and vegetables cooking slowly in the big pots.