The Heroes of Fosse Ardeatine
On 24 March 1944 365 Italian prisoners were killed by German troops in reprisal for a partisans' attack. The list of victims is based on official records, collected and reconstructed after decades of research and forensics investigation.
- The website of the Mausoleo Fosse Ardeatine, an audioguide with the personal stories of the 335 martyrs, told through the materials kept at private and institutional archives. The Mausoleum itinerary traces the events of March 23-24, 1944 with the profiles of the protagonists and illustrates the monumental complex dedicated to the victims of the massacre.
- An article (pdf) by Joseph Reider, the only survivor
- The Official Website of the ANPI (National Association of Italian Partisans)
Follow ItalyHeritage on Facebook:
- ANFIM= Associazione Nazionale Famiglie Italiane Martiri caduti per la libertà della patria - http://www.anfim-nazionale.it/
- ANPI= Associazione Nazionale Partigiani d'Italia
- Ascarelli= ASCARELLI Attilio, "Le Fosse Ardeatine" (1965), Canesi, Roma.
- Difesa= Italian Defence Ministry - Records of Victims and Missing soldiers in World War Two.
- RomaEb = Comunità Ebraica di Roma (Jewish Community of Rome) - http://www.romaebraica.it/
- Rosselli = Circolo Rosselli Milano - http://www.circolorossellimilano.org/, an organization of Liberals and Socialists in memory of Carlo and Nello Rosselli, assassinated under Fascism.
- Sentenza = the Decision in the Kappler Trial, Tribunale Militare di Roma, 20/07/1948-19/12/1953, in Ascarelli's book, pages 165-170
- Shoah = Fondazione Centro di Documentazione Ebraica Contemporanea CDEC - http://www.nomidellashoah.it/
- Triggiano = Triggiano Democratica http://www.triggianodemocratica.info/
- Wiki = Wikipedia
- V.M. = Medal to Military Value
- M.C. = Medal to Civil Merit
- (*a) = held by the Außenkommandos (kind of concentration camps) for police investigation (154 names)
- (*b) = held by the Feldgericht (German Military Court) waiting for judgement (23)
- (*c) = sentenced to death by the Feldgericht, waiting for execution (3)
- (*d) = sentenced by the Feldgerichtcondannati to prison terms from 1 to 15 years (16)
- (*e) = Jewish citizens (75)
- (*g) = held by the Questura (Italian Law Court), arrsted for reasons of public security (10).
- (*f) = held by the Questura (Italian Law Court), arrsted for political reasons (40).
- (*h) = arrested near Via Rasella (10)
- (*i) = acquitted by the Feldgericht (1)